View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 10:58

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

OH MY GOD!! I must tell you how crazy I am about this same issue!!!! I took my 63 year old friend to the hospital to have his leg amputated last month (thin man). His heart was so irregular they canceled the surgery and had me take him to the cardiologist office near the hospital.

The waiting room was full of seriously obese folks. The staff was all a good deal overweight. HOWEVER, they not only had a Girl Scout cookie display, but also had a bowl full of dove chocolates at the checkout desk. These folks have to fast for testing - who in the world could resist???

My friend is checking out and grabs for a chocolate. I discretely put my hand on his and he says, yeah you're right (his sugar is already at 250, 70-110 is normal!). The freakin' receptionist pipes up, "well, I just think you only live once - why not have chocolate!" I say, well, since my friend here is having his LEG AMPUTATED and may have just had a diabetes related HEART ATTACK, his life could END with chocolate. I was SO FURIOUS! I am so sick of medical "professionals" and their twisted lack of knowledge! She said, oh I didn't know, well I guess you SHOULDn't have it. Nice lady, really, but GEEZ!

I swear I had a dream last night that my other diabetic friend (almost blind at 44, kidney transplant recipient) went into the hospital and the nurse tried to do a Girl Scout cookie display IN HIS ROOM.

The situation is indeed depressing.