View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/000/145
BF:
Progress: 293%
Default Ditto....

It's even more alarming when you see how people feed children right into weight problems.

As a parent of three young children, I'm always in the role of "food police." It's amazing...any play groups or times when kids get together involve JUNK food. A mom needs to bring a snack, what does she bring....cookies and Hi-C!!!! I bring fresh fruits, wheat crackers, cheese, milk, water and OJ. Kids don't tend to be pigs with milk and OJ, but tend to be pigs with all other fruit juices and non-fruit sugar drinks. Whenever I provide snacks, the Moms always comment on how "healthy" we eat, but then they turn around and bring JUNK the next week! I don't make an issue about food in front of other people or my kids, but I strive to be a good example and minimize JUNK food exposures. I don't want my kids to become JUNK food bingers, either. Balance is key I guess.

Also, relatives seem to equate JUNK food with love. My MIL isn't really involved with my kids(her choice- she apparently has better things to do) but, whenever she sees them insists on bringing JUNK food. I've told her politely, and not so politely(when we're alone, of course) that they get enough JUNK when we go places with other kids and we really don't need to bring extra JUNK into our homes I've told her--bring them coloring books, cool dollar store junk, or bring fresh strawberries, blueberries, mangoes, etc. or bring nothing.....I'd prefer that she spend time with them rather then throw JUNK food at them and then ignore them for a month. I have, in front of her, put the cookies, candy, jelly beans, cake, etc. out of site when she walks in the door and not shown it to the kids(and have throw it away--not it front of her). She's starting to get the message--but is at a loss. How do you show love without JUNK food?--that's her question.

I must sound like a real drag. I'm not, by any means. I grew up with a Mom and Dad that were concerned about nutrition(low-fat, of course) and I'm still overweight. I don't want this to happen to my kids if I can help it. Life is hard enough......