#17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 17:14

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

The following is cut from: Opti-Sweet

- Quote -

Opti-Sweet is a sweetener derived from fruit concentrate. Opti-Sweet is 20 times sweeter than sugar and contains no Aspartame, Acesulfame-K or Saccharin.

Product Profile:

Amount Per Serving/ % Daily Value Calories 0
Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0 g 0%*
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%*
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%*
Total Carbohydrate <1 g 0%*
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%*
Sugars <1 g
Protein 0 g 0%*

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

^ Daily Value not established

Ingredients: Fruit Concentrate.

Suggested Use: Try using it in your coffees, teas and favorite foods.

Serving Size: 1 g (1 scoop)

- End Quote -

It does NOT have the same ingredients as SomerSweet (see label here).

I just saw a box of Opti-Sweet today - it is made from Trutina Dulcem Kiwi Fruit Concentrate, an all natural source. According to this web page, " Trutina Dulcem(TM) is a low glycemic sweetener made from kiwi fruit. Depending on which version of a low carb plan you use, this product may or may not be acceptable. It has just under 5gms of carb per teaspoon, and is 10X as sweet as sugar measure for measure. "

So, to get 5 grams of carb, you'd have to use 1 tsp of Opti-Sweet and you would get 10 tsps worth of sweetness.. or, conversely, to have the sweetness of 1 tsp of sugar, you'd use 1/10th of a tsp of Opti-Sweet at a "cost" of 1/2 carb.

I'm thinking of trying this stuff.. what appeals to me is that it is natural.. I'm getting headaches lately and wondering if it's from some of the AS I'm using.. If I decide to go for it (it was kind of expensive where I saw it, so I may look elsewhere first), I'll report back.