View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 12:21

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Thank you both

S Hysmith I can offer you some solace in that Russ' endoscopy was not nearly as bad as we'd envisioned. They gave him Demerol about an hour before and then a much more powerful sedative when they took him in such that he barely remembers the procedure at all. He was asleep when they brought him back out, and other than being very sleepy all day, there was no pain. I felt sure that after having biopsies he'd have to eat soup and ice cream etc, but they said nope, he can eat normally. And he did! He even had chips and salsa for lunch (he was too out of it to read that list of foods he was supposed to avoid) and didn't blink at it.

I found the following on the www.eatprotein.com site in the FAQs.

"My indigestion seems to have gone away completely. Can you explain why?

In virtually 100 percent of our cases, going on this program clears up gastroesophageal reflux-or indigestion. It’s because this program, by lowering insulin levels, shifts the production of certain
microhormones called prostaglandins. They are what causes bad
inflammation in the esophagus even in the stomach. On this plan they shift into a different type that doesn’t cause the inflammation, and it happens very, very quickly.

People who have had indigestion will get better almost overnight on this diet. It works spectacularly quickly. If you’re on Prilosec or if you’re taking loads of antacids to stop these problems, when you start the Protein Power Plan you can get rid of it all because it’s going to get better. In most cases it will be better within one week!"

Me again: I'm a little dubious about this because both the doctors and all the information I find in my reading says that it is the stomach acid refluxing into the esphagus that causes the inflamation associated with GERD, not prostoglandins. Plus weight loss makes a big difference and LC diets offer very dramatic weight loss in the first few weeks, so that may be part of why they give quick relief. But then I spoke to a good friend this morning who said that despite being almost 100 pounds overweight her acid reflux problems subsided within a few days of starting on an LC diet and she hadn't lost that much weight yet. She also said she'd had problems at that same weight in the past but not on LC at that weight. Like everything, it is probably a complex relationship where several things come together to cause the problem

I wish you the best tomorrow!

And Karen, I am off to visit the URLs you listed. Thanks!