View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-24, 08:29

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Sandy - you are wise to use the drug with a very watchful eye on how it affects you - and especially backing off to a lower dosage when you didn't feel well on the higher dose, especially taking it on top of having had WLS so that you aren't able to eat much to begin with.

The drug was originally developed for difficult diabetes cases, not for weight loss. But of course once it was discovered that it could decrease appetite (especially at higher dosages), they were off and running with it as a way to treat obesity... and unfortunately, the diet they normally suggest with it concentrates entirely too much on carbs, doesn't include nearly enough protein, and the med itself makes it very difficult to eat more than absolutely minimal fats (so good luck getting enough essential fatty acids).

Quote:
I am concerned about my oldest daughter, though. She has admitted she is taking Ozempic for weight loss. She barely eats now. She is on the full dose of 1 mg/week. She always had constipation since she was tiny, with congenital low gut cellular motility. How is the Ozempic changing that situation? Yes, she's losing weight, and as mentioned, weight loss is a good thing for health overall. She is at high risk for diabetes and cancer from both maternal and paternal families, so keeping her weight down is very important for increasing her lifespan and also quality of life. But does the benefit outweigh the risks? She's currently on holiday, but when she gets back I will be discussing some of these issues and sharing your excellent links and articles here.

You are very right to be concerned - for all the reasons you mentioned. I hope you're able to talk to her about your concerns and at least help her understand that she needs to eat (even if she's not hungry), make sure she gets enough protein (to minimize muscle loss), and be very wary of signs that her digestive system is not handling the medication well.