#4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-24, 06:56

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

So... the answer to the question posed in this thread:

Quote:
Are we really going to drug children not to be so fat?

Apparently the answer is yes.

Quote:
In the trial, 56 children received daily injections of up to 3 milligrams of liraglutide for nearly 13 months, while 26 got dummy medications. The kids were followed for six months afterward.

Quote:
Side effects were common among those given the drug, particularly gastrointestinal effects such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. And experts said doctors and parents would need to carefully consider those risks and the lack of data about the long-term use of such drugs in young kids.

I feel really bad for those kids - a shot every single day for 13 months (how many of us hated getting even one shot every year as kids?). Plus they had nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Makes me wonder how much the gastro side effects had to do with them losing weight, as opposed to how much weight loss was due to the GLP-1 appetite suppression.

Quote:
In the six-month follow-up, children in both groups who stopped treatment increased BMI and gained weight, the study found. The trial has been extended to include more treatment and follow up, with results expected in 2027.

So it will very likely be a lifetime of taking drugs to keep the weight off, rather than actually changing their diet.

Quote:
All the children received individual counseling to help them follow a plan that called for a healthy diet and 60 minutes a day of moderate to high-intensity exercise.

Need we even ask what they considered to be a healthy diet for these kids?

I'm pretty sure we already know they were told to fill up on lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, while consuming as little fat as possible, and being allowed only pitiful amounts of protein.