View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-24, 20:56

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Unless the ones who are using the GLP-1 drugs can afford to pay for them on their own when they (inevitably) regain weight, they'd better keep several sizes of their plus sized clothes handy.

They may be eating a lot less food while on the drug, but if they're relying on insurance to foot the bill, they're only going to pay $1,000+/month as long as they're losing weight. Once the insurance company determines that you've lost enough weight, or your weight loss slows to the point that the drug is considered no longer effective, you'll be on your own - to either pay to continue the drug, or white knuckle your way through constant cravings for the foods that you could eat a couple of bites of and want no more while on the drug.

The drug is controlling their appetite. Take the drug away, and the appetite will most likely come back with a vengeance.

Admittedly there might be a few people who don't end up eating their way back up the scale after they stop taking the drugs - but they're eating the same diet they ate that ended up causing them to gain so much weight.

Quote:
Hartman has firsthand experience with changes in her grocery basket.

She still buys the occasional junk food, but eats more intuitively now. Before, she could finish half a pint of ice cream in one sitting. Now, she eats a few bites biweekly.

“I try not to deprive myself, so I always have a sourdough loaf on hand and I have a ton of ice cream pints in my freezer,” Hartman said. “The caveat is that it takes me much longer to get through everything, so my purchase cycle has become a lot longer for these junk foods.”

I feel like telling her "oh you sweet summer child, you have no idea how naive you are"

She obviously doesn't understand what eating intuitively really is - right now a drug is in charge of her "intuitive eating". Once she no longer has access to that drug, her natural intuitive eating patterns will be back in full force.... and there she is with a ton of ice cream pints in her freezer. I'd almost bet that within a couple weeks of stopping the drug, every one of those pints will be gone, and there will be zero willpower to resist buying more.