#10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-24, 05:44

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
We are all different, likely due to our gut health. I’ve never had diverticulitis like Dennis and Bawdy, and vegetable/fruit fiber not only keeps my digestion healthy, but allows me to eat a more satiating diet for fewer calories and maintain a healthy weight. After the initial LC weight loss, Eating more fat kept me fat. Supposedly "fat makes you fat" is a myth…but not for me.

I also have not had diverticulitis but I did have significant gastrointestinal problems that, at their worst, kept me nearly housebound. At that time I could not tolerate fiber and I cut out vegetables from my diet. I was an unintentional carnivore, or something close to that. When I figured out my food sensitivities (there were many) and adopted a diet that did not contain them, my ability to tolerate fiber increased and now I have no problem with vegetables. In other words not only are we all different in our needs but those needs can change over time. Our bodies are not static entities but changeable systems.

I think the myth about fat making you fat was based on the simplistic assumption that if you ate fat it would then be stored as fat in your body, which completely ignored the process of digestion, what the body actually did with the fat. However, fat, even if it is a myth that it makes you fat in this simplistic way, can obviously effect a person’s appetite and perhaps the degree to which it effects appetite varies from person to person also, and maybe also changes over time. I tried Marty Kendall's approach in relation to fat and it did not work for me. I do better when I keep my carbs lower and my fat higher than his system recommends.

For me the relationship between health and diet has been a moving target and I have had to adjust over time to my body’s changing needs. I guess we all have to figure it out for ourselves, using the best advice out there to help us.