View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-24, 04:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dark Calories finally came into our library …well written and avoiding the "hateful eight" is something I have done for years after reading Deep Nutrition. I particularly appreciated her balanced review of the Keto Diet. Having ketones in your blood does not mean you are getting healthier. We need metabolic flexibility. Following a keto diet does enable you to burn dietary fat, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re burning your body fat … it may even make you burn protein.

Dr. Shananhan recommends a lower carb diet. A diet that is NOT low enough to qualify as keto and includes specific kinds of nutrient dense carbohydrates, [slow digesting carbs ] at least once a day. These carbohydrates may be the only way some people can escape the metabolic vicious cycle. Her plan…First spend two weeks removing all vegetable/seed oils and sugar, and any snacks. For anyone use to eating processed foods, this may be hard. Atkins and his followers haven’t focused on PUFAs, and control only the BG spikes, not the baseline needs from oxidative stress.

At the same time, I have Dr Ede’s new book, change your diet, change your mind, and it is a slog. Her keto approach seems dated with little discussion of oxidative stress and nutrients. Dr. Shanahan‘s work goes through the science on oils and keto diets has a very practical way to start eating a healthier diet.