View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-24, 09:38

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
After a series of failed operations, out of desperation my surgeon suggested I try human growth hormone to help the bones heal. I found a doctor who was willing to prescribe it for me privately and it worked. For the first time in over a year I could walk without limping. But this came at a cost. One of the side effects was an insatiable appetite. I would wake up in the middle of the night shaking with hunger and devour a loaf of bread, only to return to bed and feel ravenous again within an hour.

When I returned to my doctor, he explained this side effect would pass but in the meantime, suggested I try another drug that would suppress my appetite: Ozempic, another GLP-1 agonist, that is licensed for Type 2 diabetes, but had started to be used by some private doctors ‘off-licence’ for obesity and to control appetite. I tried it and it was astonishing. My hunger went.

What was strange though was that I’ve always had a sweet tooth and particularly loved chocolate. But it simply lost its appeal. Opposite my gym is a fancy patisserie and I would always walk past and torment myself by looking in the window at their cakes. But suddenly I noticed that they seemed to provoke absolutely no reaction in me, it was as if I was looking at lumps of plastic. It had flipped a switch in my brain and turned off any interest in these kinds of foods. I was only on the medication for two months but even now, several years later, cakes and chocolate hold little appeal for me.

He took one drug that had the side effect of insatiable carb cravings, which led to uncontrolled carb consumption.

He then took another drug that had the side effect of shutting down his carb cravings, even his long-standing carb cravings.

He's extremely rare in that despite being on ozempic for 2 months, he came away with those long-standing carb cravings gone.

I'm not seeing that it works like that for everyone. Or even most people. He's an anomaly, perhaps because it sounds like he routinely resisted those carb cravings so often before the drug that gave him insatiable carb cravings.

That's not going to happen with most who take it - it's pretty obvious that once the drug wears off, they go back to their past eating habits.

Exhibit A: Oprah admits that she still uses Ozempic from time to time when her weight starts to creep back up. In other words, she still loses control over her eating habits again and again, so it's back on the Ozempic to get it under control again and again.

Just because she's not putting on 50 or 100 lbs and losing it again and again doesn't mean it's not still yo-yo dieting like she's done for decades. She's just using a drug to do it now.