Old Sun, Jul-07-24, 13:35

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Omg. What crap.

Some 20 years ago I made simple meals foe my family because of the impact of 4 strokes.

Cook a meat. Unpackage, put on roasting pan, salt it. Put on oven 1 hour.

Microwave potatoes.

Microwave a bag of frozen vegetables. Add butter.

How easy is that?!?!

This is why I would really like to see what foods were on their lists - if you go by the list of things that make food ultra processed, the frozen vegetables and butter in your simple meals could be considered ultra processed.

(I was going to bring the list of what NOVA said are signs of ultra processing over here - the list was extensive, but I can't get back into the site again, so I'll just quote myself from a post about the list:

Quote:
According to the list Nina Teicholz provided of characteristics that supposedly describe what makes a food a UPF the factory produced bread containing the exact same ingredients as homemade is all it takes to make it UPF. And I think that was one of her main points - there are too many things on that list which only describe manufacturing processes which have nothing at all to do with the nutritional value of a food that has the exact same ingredients as a home made food. By the same token, as explained (I can't seem to get back into the article to see if it was her or if I read it somewhere else), if you make something like cookies or cake at home from ingredients that are not healthy, that doesn't make it any better than a UPF - but if you base it on that crazy list, somehow it's not a UPF because you made it at home - which gives home bakers a free pass to eat as much homemade cake and cookies as they want.

With that in mind, the frozen veggies would be blanched in a factory, then most likely flash frozen (a factory process), sent along the factory line and factory sealed in plastic bags with a label on it - that's enough processing to consider it to be a UPF, even though it's similar to home freezing methods.

The butter is also made in a factory - churned, salted, formed into sticks, wrapped in paper, and finally packaged in a multi-layer box with a label on it (which I would imagine the inner and outer layers of the cardboard box are plastic). Most of that process is the same you'd use to make butter at home - but because it's made in a factory, and goes through some extra steps with the packaging, labeling, and especially since the outer box of the packaging has plastic coatings on it - yep it could be considered to be UPF.

The meat might even be considered to be UPF, because it also goes through a factory, and generally ends up packaged in plastic with a label.

So while I suspect that's the kind of foods they chose to meet the criteria for healthy UPFs, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they sought out the most expensive versions they could find for the ridiculously expensive non-processed foods... $35 day... utterly ridiculous, unless you're going to exclusive specialty shops (a different one for each item) and buying the most expensive items available. And more than you can possibly use in a week of all those items, since they claimed there was so much waste with unprocessed food.

This is what I imagine they did:

Start with a custom cut, organic, grass fed Prime Rib from a butcher shop. If they have Wagyu steaks, those would be excessively expensive, so buy some of those too. Buy more organic meats - a whole turkey. And a chicken. Also get a pheasant if they have those. And a duck. That's enough meat for a few weeks, but remember we're trying to prove that fresh unprocessed foods cost a lot more and don't last as long as UPFs, so we're buying the most expensive fresh meat we can find, and buying more than we can possibly use before it goes bad. Next stop, buy a lot of out of season organic veggies and exotic organic fruit from the most expensive grocery store in town - make sure they don't look very good, because we want to prove they don't last as long as ultra processed...

And so on and so on...