View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-24, 08:25

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have a bunch of the sugar free flavored syrups (Home Goods, TJ Maxx and Marshalls are good places to find them - but we also have an outlet here that carries a limited variety of SF Torani syrups). I found some small travel size/sample size bottles of SF syrups at Dollar Tree one time years ago too. I have a bunch of the Torani syrups but rarely ever use them because I only bought them to make the one recipe for a LC protein bar that calls for some SF vanilla syrup (main ingredients are almond butter, whey powder, unsweetened baking chocolate, and cream. I eventually modified the recipe by switching out coconut butter for the baking chocolate so that I could use different flavors of syrup. I haven't made those in a long time though, since I generally only make them for emergency travel food when there's no LC friendly food available along the highway)

I also use a lot of the flavored water enhancing drops. I don't care much for flavored waters so I rarely use them like that, but I do make fake jello by blooming unflavored gelatin in cold water, nuke to dissolve gelatin, then add the water flavoring drops, and stir in a bunch of ice cubes until the ice is mostly melted and the mixture has gelled, then eat immediately. I'll use Mio, Crystal Light, and some store brands. Those drops all have Ace-K and/or sucralose in them.

The only store brand water enhancer I don't care for at all is one that has Stevia in it. I think the problem is that this particular store brand only uses natural flavors and colors, and it doesn't have preservatives in it. The natural flavors just don't hold up very well - the flavor seems very weak to begin with, and once the bottle has been open for more than a few days, everything about that brand tastes and smells just plain bad.

For the most part though Stevia is my go-to SF sweetener when I make bake Oopsies, and on the rare occasions when I bake a treat of some kind. I use it regularly in Greek yogurt to make chocolate yogurt (gently whisk in cocoa powder and some vanilla). I only use the KAL stevia that's pure stevia with no fillers at all, so it doesn't measures like sugar - 1/32 of a tsp is equivalent to 2 tsp sugar.

I also still have some liquid saccharin on hand too. I used to be able to get it in a bottle that a drop of it was a 1 tsp serving - now, the only kind I have seen in stores is watered down so that 1/4 tsp = 1 tsp.

Once in a great long while I'll use a little splenda - that's mostly here for DH though since splenda is the only SF sweetener that he likes the taste of in his coffee.