Old Sun, May-19-24, 03:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
So did the alcoholism have anything to do with gaining so much weight? Getting so much sicker so quickly?

I'd guess so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
He was of above average health and fitness when he started the project; he gained 25 pounds (11 kg), became quite puffy, and suffered liver dysfunction and depression by the end. Spurlock's supervising physicians noted the effects caused by his high-calorie diet—once even comparing it to a case of severe binge alcoholism. Following Spurlock's December 2017 assertion that he hadn't been "sober for more than a week" in three decades, the claims of his liver dysfunction being caused by eating McDonald's food solely for 30 days have been called into question.

IMO, though, it would depend on what his drinking habits actually were. If it was fairly steady, same amount day after day, before/during/after the movie; I'd consider it not much more of a confounder than, say, taking any other medication - pain killers, psychiatric meds, statins, etc. If he was more of a binge drinker and it was all over the map... well, who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I have very clear memories of some lady on some LC board (might have been ALC, might have been a defunct LC board - it's been a very long time ago) who ate LC at McD's almost every day, because with her job she didn't have another option for something to grab quickly for lunch. She would order a couple of regular burgers, a diet drink, no fries or pies, and then just toss the buns. She lost weight easily. I'm sure calories made a difference, since 2 regular McD's burgers minus the buns amounts to less than 300 calories. That's about the same number of calories in one of those tiny (and very unsatisfying) frozen diet meals, and yet she was quite satisfied on those 2 bunless burgers, with enough energy to do her very physical job all day.

It reminds me of one of Dr Jason Fung's patients, too. T2D, but he also had MS and was in a wheelchair. He couldn't easily get to a grocery store. He ate tons of fast food from near his apartment building. Once they straightened out his choices, he was successful. I haven't read any of Fung's books, but I heard his colleague Megan Ramos talk about him at a conference.