Old Wed, May-15-24, 11:48

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
I do, though not very often.

When I travel for work, at a pinch I will sometimes order a couple of plain quarter pounders with a side salad.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the UK the patties are 100% beef, no additives. The same can't be said for many of the burgers you are served in a cafe or restaurant.

According to DD1 (who lives in the UK) this is apparently a UK thing. As I understand it, Five Guys over there also does 100% beef burgers. (At least they did when we visited almost 15 years ago).

Every time DD1 has had friends over for burgers, they marvel at how good her burgers taste, and can't figure out why hers taste so much better than the ones they make at home.

But everyone she knows is using fillers (which I'm assuming are mostly bread crumbs or flour) in their burgers, just like the restaurants do.

I don't know why they do this, unless it was because of post-WWII rationing issue, when you couldn't get enough meat to make enough all meat burgers to feed the entire family, so everyone got used to the meat being extended with flour or breadcrumbs.

As an aside, I hated the sausages I was served there, because they all tasted like flour to me - obviously another situation where they were extending the meat with flour or breadcrumbs to make the sausages.