Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by wbahn
Any idea how many distinct users account for the bulk of the bounces? [

It's around a couple of thousand members, and results in a couple of hundred bounced emails a day.

Quote:
How about this idea - keep the e-mail notification enabled but, if someone's e-mail gets bounced that person's e-mail notification is turned off and they are either PM'ed or have an announcement come up the nect time they log in.

I started doing that, and have written a script where I type in the email address, it will go and find the member with that email, and then automatically unsubscribe them from all threads.

I had the energy to use it for a couple of days, but it turned out to be a time consuming process, and it may unfairly unsubscribe members who have valid emails, but their ISP's are experiencing some difficulties with their email servers.

So, the best solution would be to:

1. Have the script work automatically, at the MTA level whenever an email bounces.

2. Allow a mechanism (not available until vB 3.0) to disable email notification, without unsubscribing members from their subscribed threads (I got some complaints, as some members were using their profile control panel to monitor subscribed threads).

Step 2 is doable, but would require modifications to vB's database. And since vB 3.0 is coming out soon, and already have that capability (of subscribing with and without notification option), I thought I'd just wait for the vB 3.0 release, instead of investing some time in adding such feature that will be provided by vB anyway.

But I do appreciate how important email notifications are to most members, and I miss it myself. The good news is that vB 3.0 is just around the corner, and they finished two beta test private releases already. So it's almost there

Wa'il