Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%
Default Re: You only want

Quote:
Originally posted by black57
This is why weighing every day can be helpful. Also, if you get on the scale and discover that you hae gained 3 or 5 lbs don't panic. Just stay with the diet, reduce a carb or 2 and see what happens the next morning.

Sorry, black57, but I have to disagree with this -- I think this is where weighing every day can be spectacularly *unhelpful*, unless you're weighing every day and then taking the weekly average as your actual weight. If your weight changes a measurable amount from day to day, it is a meaningless water fluctuation and is absolutely not related to your carb intake levels. There's just no way that a serving of any food with 5g of carbs can translate into a 3500-calorie, 454g pound of actual fat weight! If I up my intake by 5g of berries, but also have a steak marinated in Dale's, I'm going to gain a pound or two in the morning -- but it's water retention from the salty Dale's, not the strawberries! Of course, if my weekly weigh-in is the morning after that, I'm also going to show a net gain for the week, which is why daily weighing + averaging is superior to either daily or weekly weighing alone.

I think even a week is an awfully short time to decide what impact adding/reducing carbs is going to have on your weight, because our bodies fluctuate for so many reasons -- two weeks or a month is probably a more reasonable time period. I've seen a lot of people decide that they can't lose at any more than 20g, because they get off induction, add a few carbs back, hit the famous post-induction stall, and blame it on those extra 5g of carbs. I think it's a shame to deprive yourself of stuff like berries and nuts if you can handle them -- true, some people can't, but a week isn't enough to tell if you're one of them.