#22   ^
Old Mon, Nov-20-23, 21:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Demi recommended this new podcast with Dr Lyons, on The Genius Life with Max Lugavere

Just listened to this podcast this morning. I like Dr. Lyon as she has worked closely with Don Layman who is one of the foremost authorities on protein and protein research. She refers to her approach as Muscle-centric Medicine, which is a very accurate term. As we age, maintaining and increasing muscle mass is the most critical component to prevent age-related health, mental, and physical decline. Consuming healthy whole foods emphasizing protein is key to supplying the building blocks to increase muscle mass while strengthening bones. The Genius Life podcast with Dr. Lyon is time well spent. Highly recommended.

As for a good guide on resistance training, I can’t think of a better source than Body by Science by Doug McGuff and John Little. This is one of the most practical texts for fitness based on adequate recovery time. Therefore, it’s ideally suited for any age, but especially seniors. This is no typical multi set, gym-rat oriented weight lifting recommendations. Most can devise a fitness program from this book that provides a whole body workout from one to a couple times per week, with a core group of safe exercises all done in one set each. Best book I’ve read on fitness that provides the amount of resistance training one needs with minimal time spent in the gym, and maximizing the time required for adequate recovery to grow muscle and be ready for the next workout.