View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Blisters are caused by the feet moving inside the shoe and rubbing against the shoe fabric.

New Balance are designed for wide feet. I wear NB 2E. If your foot is slipping side-to-side inside the shoe, it's too wide. If your heel is slipping upwards, it's too long a shoe.

There are plenty of blister pads available at drugstores. Sometimes you get relief by cutting a hole in the insert over the blister.

Some models of NB are wider than others. I use the trail shoe. I wear thin socks under a thick pair that I cut the toes out. That gives me extra support in my instep and heel while letting by toes have some wiggle room.

Sometimes blisters are caused by feet getting wet. One solution might be spraying your feet with antiperspirant before walking. A study in the army showed the new recruits had fewer blisters by doing that.

Sometimes blisters are caused by your feet swelling inside the shoes. That usually means not enough electrolytes but it could just be shoes that are too tight.

If you don't mind real pain, there is a cure for the blister. You can buy Tincture of Benzoin at the drugstore. As cleanly as you can, pop the blister and drain the fluid, then (here comes the pain) you drip tincture of benzoin into the drain hole work it into the blister. It hurts A LOT but only for a minute. When it stops hurting the blister is sealed.

It's a common treatment used during the EcoChallenge. Also Navy Seals and Special Forces use it. I've used it on a dozen blisters. It always amazes me how much it hurts and it always amazes me how it instantly fixes a blister.

Good luck.