#10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-23, 22:21

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
If you're craving candy, is the Ozempic really doing its job?

Yes, I believe it is doing what it's intended to do, since it's intended to slow down digestion and absorption of food so much that patients sometimes find themselves with a complete aversion to meats and fats.

They're discouraged from eating much meat and fat anyway, even if they don't develop an aversion to those things. Meat proteins and fats already digest far more slowly than carbs, and as people who have done LC know, you can feel satiated for hours and hours on just meats and fats, whereas on a high carb diet, it's not unusual to be ravenously hungry every couple of hours.

From what I've heard from the friend who is on Wegovy, it sounds like the semaglutide drugs slow the digestion to the point that carbs are at least as slow to digest as meats and fats would be normally. So you can imagine what eating meats and fats on those drugs would do to your digestion - they feel like they're going to hurl because of how full it leaves them for such an insanely long time.

Even though the semaglutide lowers A1C and slows the absorption of glucose from their primarily carb diet, their metabolism is still getting more glucose than if they were on LC, so their blood sugar will still fluctuate far more than the blood sugar of someone on LC, so they're going to crave more carbs, including candy.

I don't think those who developed these new diet drugs were necessarily expecting the possibility of marketing new candy to satisfy the continued sweet cravings of those who use the drugs - but I believe that in the eyes of a candy manufacturer, craving more carbs is certainly a convenient "side effect" of the drug for their business.