Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Elevating Your Nutrient Intake From Recommended to Optimal

https://optimisingnutrition.com/opt...utrient-intake/

A good summary of Optimising Nutrition and Nutrient Triage Theory

Quote:

Professor Bruce Ames’ Triage Theory of nutrition and longevity has been at the heart of our vision for Optimising Nutrition from the outset.

Based on a plethora of research, Ames’ nutrient triage theory states that when our body doesn’t get enough of all the micronutrients we require, it can only focus on short-term survival. With limited resources, all the functions required to live a long and vibrant life are put on hold.

Our bodies divert the limited resources to execute the bare essentials, and the repair processes required to prevent chronic diseases in the long term, like cancer, autoimmunity, and Alzheimer’s, get put ‘on the back burner’. By efficiently giving your body the resources it needs to thrive, you are empowered to live a long and vibrant life, where weight loss and looking great are side effects.

I’m the first to admit Optimal is not easy, but I know what my stretch goals should be. The first mineral listed, calcium, is hard for me to reach. Calcium containing foods are very SATIATING. To the point if yogurt is included in "your plan" you reduce cravings for "off plan foods" and it is hard to overeat energy calories. The standard DRI is 1000mg, for senior women in the US, 1200mg, and the ONI is 1650mg. Rather than take it all as a calcium supplement, aim for the best with food, and only add the lowest extra as needed.

Quote:
Studies suggest that a diet rich in calcium protects against heart disease, but supplemental calcium may increase the risk by causing calcium to deposit where we don’t want it, like in your arteries. A 2010 BMJ study found that those who used calcium supplements had a 139% greater risk of a heart attack, while an increased intake of calcium from food did not increase the risk.