#65   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-23, 07:59

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I love unsweetened whole milk Greek yogurt, which is a staple here, as much as grass fed hamburger

In fact, my "hamburger sense" has become so refined that I can't eat bunless burgers just anywhere, any more. But that's a good thing.

I accidentally bought Fat Free Half and Half (identical carton, small print for the italics) and DH poured it on his morning steel cut oatmeal. He had to throw the whole thing away. Because it was skim milk and corn syrup. That's how far he's come from junk food, I'm happy to note.

Do people put up with the difference for "health"? Or can they no longer tell the difference?

I don't think it's a matter of not being able to tell the difference, but that the real thing tastes weird to them after eating fake stuff (or for that matter fat free everything) for such a long time, although they do generally switch to the fake stuff because it's supposed to be a healthier way to eat.

A friend's adult son got to the point where he would only drink fat free milk, because "the thick stuff" (whole milk, or even 2% milk) didn't taste right to him any more. He could tell the difference between the milk that still had any fat in it at all and the fat free milk - he was so used to the "thin white water" version of milk though that he couldn't choke down milk with any fat in it any more.

I suspect the same thing happens with things like fat free half'n'half - the fat free stuff has 3 g of carbs (from the added corn syrup), as opposed to only 1 g carbs in the regular half'n'half. The corn syrup also helps thicken it to the same texture as regular half'n'half, but gives it a different mouth feel from the fat in half'n'half - that mouth feel can be disconcerting if you've been using the fat free stuff for years.

For that matter, I grew up on farms, and we had fresh milk from the cattle. Mom pasteurized it because dad's cows were strep carriers, which meant that until she got the pasteurizer, us kids were sick ALL. THE. TIME. However, even though she skimmed off as much cream as she could to make butter, the milk still had some cream in it.

I didn't care for the milk that was included in school lunches - it was whole milk back in the 50's and 60's, but it took me until I was decades into adulthood and just happened to have access to some non-homogenized milk again to figure out what it was that I didn't like about the school milk - it tasted different because it was homogenized.

If I'm going to actually drink milk, I still prefer it to not be homogenized.

Similar thing happened after decades of buying regular grocery store ground beef. My brother had a steer butchered and somehow ended up with way more ground beef than he'd ordered - he gave me some of it just to get some of the excess out of his freezer, and it was like going back to the ground beef of my childhood - it tasted like what I ate back then.