View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 07:39

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have only recently started adding some berries. I started 2/2/03 and was in Induction for about 3-3.5 weeks. I only started adding them after researching. Here's some things I found on atkinscenter.com:

excerpt from Article: Moving Into Ongoing Weight Loss

OWL has a couple of fundamental differences from Induction, but it is also very similar to it in that you will continue to derive the majority of your carbohydrates from vegetables low in carbs. You will add more portions of vegetables, and most people will be able to gradually add nuts, seeds and even some berries. It's important to understand that you will not be shifting significantly away from protein and fat to carbs, although you will be slowly changing the ratio of carbs to that of fat and protein.

excerpt from Article: How to Follow Phase Two, Part 1

During the first week on OWL, increase your daily carb intake from the 20 grams a day on Induction to 25 grams a day—going up one level. I recommend you add either another salad, half an avocado, a cup of cauliflower or six to eight stalks of asparagus or another vegetable. Continue to eat this way for the rest of the week. As long as your weight loss continues steadily, you can go up another level—to 30 grams daily—the following week. If you are a veggie lover, you may be happy continuing to add more salad greens and other vegetables. Or you may choose to add a half cup of cottage cheese, an ounce of sunflower seeds or a dozen macadamia nuts. If you've been feeling fruit deprived, now is the time to add berries, the fruits lowest on the glycemic index. (Thirteen average-size strawberries contain 5 grams of carbs.)

Also, here's the definition of glycemic index:

Glycemic Index (GI): A quick way to understand the relative impact that Carbohydrates from a particular food have on your Blood sugar compared to the effect after eating a similar amount of pure Glucose, which enters your bloodstream almost immediately. In general, the lower a food is on the GI, the less glucose it will deliver to your bloodstream and therefore the less Insulin your Pancreas must produce to transport the glucose to your cells. And the less insulin you produce the less likely it is that your body is going to store Fat. Does not take into account the average size of a portion.

See How to Follow Phase Two, Part 2 for other suggestions of foods you can add to your daily menu. Most people find it best to add back foods in a certain order—what Dr. Atkins calls The Carbohydrate Ladder. Note that few people will be able to add back all these food groups in OWL. Those on the second half of the list tend to rank higher on the glycemic index and are more commonly introduced in Pre-Maintenance.

The Carbohydrate Ladder
As you move from one level to another, add carbohydrate foods back into your diet in the order that follows. Your ability to add all the food groups back depends upon your degree of metabolic resistance. For example, someone with high metabolic resistance would probably not be able to add legumes back during Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL), while someone who is young and works out regularly might well be able to do so. Few people can add back all these foods during OWL. Adhering to this order tends to minimize blood-sugar surges that could reactivate cravings:

1. more salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list
2. fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
3. seeds and nuts
4. berries
5. wine and other spirits low in carbs
6. legumes
7. fruits other than berries and melons
8. starchy vegetables
9. whole grains

Hope this helps! Sorry for the long post!!!!!!