#73   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-22, 08:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Four-year update

Hi, everyone! Long time no post.

I just wanted to say I've been maintaining successfully in the 180s for the past four years. Although I don't follow Atkins 40 per se, I have adopted a lot of the tools they offered. I use my food scale a lot and am mindful of portions. If I find myself eating anything straight out of the container, I stop myself. If I can't stop myself, I stop eating that thing.

Lately I've been sloppy. It's so easy to gain a pound and much harder to lose it. I came back here and started reading for motivation, and I must say that reading my own posts from four years ago is so helpful! The guidelines I gave myself based on what works and how I feel still work for me. I had to remind myself of that. Of course, reading everyone else is a big boost and source of support and encouragement, which keeps me coming back here.

Onward and downward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
Well, here I am after doing Atkins 40 for one week. Here's what I learned:

1. All that constant tracking, counting, and measuring is not sustainable for me. I felt like I was constantly trying to shove my size 10 foot into a size 9 shoe. DANDR is more intuitive and natural.

2. Drinking at least a half gallon of water each day does make a world of difference. It is my new religion. I have a glass as soon as I get up in the morning. Any back pain or stiffness I feel on waking goes away.

3. I tend to fall short on protein, fat and calories when I skip breakfast and so am back to having that third meal again. That, too, makes a world of difference in how I feel and function.

4. My typical baseline low-carb eating according to what Dr. Atkins' DANDR taught me keeps me easily, naturally under 60 total carbs a day, which is ideal for me. I have to work very hard to get up to 60. On a typical day, it's more like 35-40. I just have to remember to eat.

Overall impression of Atkins 40: very much like Weight Watchers but low carb instead of low fat.