View Single Post
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-20, 05:06

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It's a myth that higher protein levels damage the kidneys. The following is from a blog post titled "Vampire Myths" from Dr. Mike Eades' blog:

Quote:
If you want to read about protein and the kidney, click here for a full-text article from the journal Nutrition & Metabolism.

My favorite article showing the absurdity of this claim comes from research performed in Israel almost 20 years ago by Dr. Marion Blum. There have been numerous studies since showing the same thing, but I like this one because of its simplicity and elegance.

Dr. Blum and her group recruited a number of vegetarian subjects (I don’t remember how many right now because I don’t have the paper in front of me and it’s too old to pull down) of varying ages and sexes. These subjects had been vegetarians for over 13 years (so there were no recent coverts in the bunch) and had consumed low amounts of plant-based protein for a significant portion of their lives. Dr. Blum then found a group of meat-eating subjects who were the same ages and sexes as the vegetarians, but who consumed large amounts of mainly animal protein. Dr. Blum then tested the kidney function of both groups.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that as we age the function of our kidneys (and all our organs, for that matter) deteriorates. This deterioration can be measured and plotted on a graph showing decreased function as we get older.

Dr. Blum plotted the course of the age-related decline of kidney function in the vegetarians. She them plotted the same thing in the meat eaters and found that the two graphs were exactly the same. There was no difference in the age related kidney function of a long term vegetarian and a meat eater of the same age and sex.

https://proteinpower.com/vampire-myths/