View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 08:49

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

After induction, I tried to take it slowly as well... it's too easy to get carried away! The first thing I did was took off limits on veggies. A lot of us don't get enough in anyway, so it's silly to limit them. I ate bigger portions of broccoli and asparagus at dinner and huge salads. I also started eating more dairy than 3oz a day and began eating nuts, but I warn you, it's probably better to buy single-serving packages to control intake! Nuts can be one of those "overboard" foods. Fruits are a great addition too. Berries in a splash of cream can be quite heavenly.

Basically the best thing to remember is to start with no more than one new food a day, maybe even a week. Try more veggies the first week, then try some nuts and seeds a few days out of the next week, and berries a few days out of the next week. You will get the hang of what works for you.

Just to remind you, Atkins has a handy-dandy Carbohydrate Ladder that will give you some good ideas of what to add first. These articles: How to do OWL are also helpful summaries of the principles.

Just a note: In his most recent book, Atkins For Life, the good doc has removed "wine and spirits" from his carbohydrate ladder, considering them not a valid nutrional element. They are allowed on OWL, but not highly recommended.

Wishing you luck!