View Single Post
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 16:22

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

sknymonkey,

I do believe you now have fibromyalgia/CFS. It is often thought (but not proven) to be triggered by trauma. I now think it is somehow also insulin resistance related. Since I was rather 'forced' to go low-carb due to having become diabetic, I am finding that a lot of my symptoms are relieved. I also get 2 hours of deep tissue massage a week. (Quite painful--I have to get a 'relaxation' one about every fourth session in order to 're-center') But it is a constant thing. If I have to go for a few weeks without massage, the adhesions re-form and I have to go through getting them broken up again. It's kind of a 3 steps forward, 2 steps back thing. I personally feel it is some kind of an autoimmune response, but I have no clue (nor do the docs) on how to stop it. Meanwhile, I continue my self-directed course of therapy. I don't like taking medications, but I did find that increasing my magnesium and melatonin helped a great deal. I sleep much much better now. I also take an armload of supplements to make up for deficiencies. I had a doctor tell me I was quite low in magnesium and she recommended I take a chelated magnesium supplement until it gave me 'the squirts' then back off 250mg. I ended up taking 2200mg/day of magnesium for about 3 months before the deficency was relieved, then I was able to back off slowly, but I still take about 1000mg because I apparently have a high magnesium requirement due to the insulin resistance et al....