View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 15:51

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

myshades,

Yes, my chiro muscle tested me on the protein thing. Especially since I'm a blood type A. (He encourages his patients to follow blood type diet, but he's also fond of Schwarzbein, so he has combined the blood type recommendations with the Schwarzbein advice on avoiding simple starches/sugars)
I had gone on the Type A diet and it did not agree with me at all, so I had him test me on many things and we determined that in spite of being a blood type A, I apparently do quite well with lots of protein including beef. In fact, I test quite well for beef--I actually do best on bison! I have also had my blood analyzed under microscope and I apparently handle a high protein diet very well. No signs of inability to digest proteins at all. (I watched while they analyzed it--MOST interesting!) A month or so ago I read the book "Metabolic Typing Diet" and determined I am a Protein Type, which didn't surprise me. My Dad was an A, my Mom was an O; Dad has some siblings that are also O's. My sister is an O and I am an A. So I am apparently what has been referred to as an "O-like A". A's are usually depicted as needing to be more vegetarian--still requiring much protein, but should obtain it from non-animal sources. Well, I did that for 14 months and I became diabetic (no, diabetes does not run in my family on either side). The books I've read on Blood Type Diet simply don't adequately address the diabetic Type A. So I'm 'doing' Dr.Bernstein/Atkins type of diet, but trying to basically eat according to what is/is not recommended for a blood type A (avoiding liquid milk and nightshade veggies, etc) and it's working quite well for me. All of my 'numbers' are much improved. It's been almost 2 years now and I'm pleased. I've recently hit a stall in my weight loss, but I've also been going through some truly major upsets in my life and I'm coping as best I can. When things settle down again I expect I'll begin to lose again. I'm holding my own, though...