#6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 07:06
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%
Default Re: Re: Understanding Those With Less to Lose

I've been very hesitant to jump into this discussion and I don't really need to right now because Ruth so fluently expressed most of what I feel on this topic. However, there is one thing that I want to add to Ruth's reply.

Just as those of us with a lot of weight to lose have to be careful not to misunderstand and trivialize that difficulties faced by people with less to lose, people with less to lose have to be careful not to assume they know how we feel.

I do disagree with this post by SlimShAdY:

Quote:
Originally posted by SlimShAdY
As for "overreacting". I don't understand why people think that either. If they weighed what I weigh, they would still want to lose weight and I'm sure that if they had a choice for the perfect body of their dreams, it wouldn't be mine.

I weighed between 180 and 184 all through my early to mid 20s --until I got pregnant with my first child at age 27. I was very comfortable with my body at that time and had no wish to be thinner. It was a healthy weight for me and I was easily able to maintain the weight. Please don't assume that everyone else's goal is the "perfect body," whatever that means. I will be happy if I can get to a weight below 200 and maintain that weight easily over the long-term.

I don't question your desire to weigh less and your desire for the perfect body. That may well be a reasonable goal for you. If I can do anything to support you on that quest, I will. I am just asking you to please not assume that I share that desire for myself.