View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 14:56
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

The advantage of adding veggies is that they help fill you up while adding very few carbs and calories. I almost always put my protein food on top of a salad at lunch and dress is with olive oil and vinegar. That fills me up a lot more than just eating the protein food by itself. Similarly, I usually have both a salad and a cooked vegetable at dinner. If he adds more vegetables to his meals, he should be able to cut back on the quantities of the more highly caloric foods.

For me, one of the most important lessons I have learned from this way of eating is to listen to my body and stop eating when I am full. If your husband is eating a lot quickly, he may be missing his body's signals. He may need to stop and think several times during a meal to see if he really wants more to eat. We don't count calories in Atkins, but calories do count. It is important not to eat when you are not hungry (unless it has been more than six hours since you last ate).

One other thought -- whipped cream always stalls my weight loss. I eat it occasionally, because it makes a good treat and it doesn't cause cravings. However, I never lose when I eat it.