Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 00:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 136/146/150
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default red meat

Hello everyone,
You paleopeople really rock! Dare I say it but you just seem more in touch with the spirituality of food. This probably sounds pretty weird but I find the whole L.Carbing phenomenon leading the human race almost inexorably towards better health seems to sync pretty neatly with a growing need for spiritual (not religious)
awareness. I would hazard a guess that a WOEating that takes us back to our genetic inheritance is probably a necessary step in true spiritual awakening. That earlier thread that mentioned the 'blood connection' aspect of paleo eating in terms of reconnecting us to a true reverence for the earth and seems to also foster a sense of connectedness to our fellow travellers on this planet (and I don't only mean Human).

Which in a round about kind of way brings me to the real reason for opening this thread. It's been fascinating reading various comments about how much better people feel when they eat meat. I've always found that the manifold benefits of lowcarbing are magnified considerably when I'm eating red meat. I enjoy chicken and fish, but however they are prepared , I always feel slightly deprived after such a meal . It's almost a kind of carb craving, but a carb craving that carbs (when I've succumbed) never even come close to satisfying. But even small amounts of red meat , even just meat for a meal (however gastronomically boring it is) will keep me feeling satisfied for hours. No wonder the eskimos like seal so much! The really interesting thing is this : I've always liked my steak really rare. Sometimes when I'm preparing a meal just for me, I don't even bother cooking it at all. Particularly if you chop it finely and smother it in herbs and spices, and a really good extra virgin olive oil, I actually prefer the taste raw. I don't want offend anyone's sensibilities, and I probably am a bit odd , but preparing steak this way satisfies my appetite for much longer. You know how even when you've had a good meal , it is usually only an hour or two before the idea of food pops into your consciousness yet again. Red meat- and the rarer(interesting how rare is so close to raw) it is the better - prolongs the time when you are not just distracting yourself from the need to eat, you are more like completely oblivious to your stomach. I'm pretty sure part of the reason for this is that it is that red meat is such an ideal food for the human digestive tract. What do you think? Maybe not globally sustainable (at present population levels), maybe not philosophically correct (with presently employed slaughtering techniques ), and certainly hardly environmentally sensitive or sensible (if we go on prefering beef over a wider range of red meat sources). But simply a whole lot better for you.

By the way Shandy Andy , I'd just tell your mates that you've got cirrhosis of the liver, and then chuckle conspiratorially in a way that they can't help but wonder if you're really joking!

cheers,
Stuart
Sponsored Links