#4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 18:34
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Nat,

Good points all. I'm really glad that you and Lisa have been talking about this. Nevertheless, I do have one answer for your question.
Quote:
And yet, for the most part, we mark progress by pounds lost. That's what most of us update in our profiles. That's how many of us define our goals.
For me, at my size, that changing number (unreliable as it may be) is the only visible indication of change that I'm likely to have for a very long time. I could lose another 50 lbs and still not have it show.

I've been working on this since the beginning of the year. The scale tells me that I've dropped 20 pounds. My clothes tell me nothing. The tape measure tells me something different every time I pick it up. (You try measuring a beach ball consistently!) The way I feel changes from day to day. I think I'm doing better, overall, but it's not something that's easy to quantify. The scale may be a liar, but at least it's a tangible liar!

That being said, though, I agree with everything that's been said about the unreliability of the scale as the sole arbiter of success. I'm looking forward to the time when I can judge my progress based on the tape measure and body composition, as well as scale weight. In the mean time, though, I'm taking what I can get.

--Ruth