View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 16:39

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Default My idea to reduce carbs in baking -- realistic?

Hi Karen and everyone,

I came up with this idea last night; I'd like to bounce it off you to see if you think it'll work.

It seems that the LC cake recipes get most of their carbs from the maltodextrin in Splenda. If we could substitute the right amount of DaVinci's syrup for maltodextrin/Splenda, we could eliminate 24 g. of carb per cup, right?

I emailed DaVinci's this morning to figure out how much syrup to substitute and got this reply:

Quote:
A typical sugar free syrup (vanilla) contains 0.127% sucralose or 0.01895 grams per tablespoon of syrup. Using the "600 times sweeter than sugar" assumption, one tablespoon of syrup contains the sweetening equivalent of 11.37 grams of sugar or 0.40 ounces. So, you would need 40 fluid ounces of syrup to equal 1 pound of sugar.

I have not yet checked their math or calculated how much to use for a cup of Splenda.

We'd still have to re-adjust the recipe for moisture. Most of the moisture in these recipes comes from eggs. Couldn't we use dried powdered eggs and then add the moisture back as DV syrup and water? I've never used powdered eggs, are they nasty? I've seen egg powder for years in the King Arthur Flour catalogue; apparently some bakers use it because it carries no salmonella.

If I figure out how much of everything to substitute, is this all going to work? Do LC recipes depend on the baking qualities of maltodextrin? How bad do dried eggs taste?

By the way, I bravely tried you pork rind carrotless cake yesterday. I can't believe that those ingredients actually produced a cake! And a pretty decent one too! (I used the zucchini variation.) If we could cut out the maltodextrin, it would be almost zero carb!
Sponsored Links