View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 16:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Ozzyfan!

I know that all of this is new and very scary for you, but you're making some good decisions by first deciding that you have to change your eating habits and then getting support to help you do so.
Once you get your meeter and test strips, do you know how to use them? If not, ask your doctor or nurse to show you how and then practice. Your meeter will be your best guide as to how you are doing. Test frequently, especially at first, until you get a good handle on how different foods affect your blood sugars. I know it's a pain (literally), but it's important. There are new test meeters that allow you to take blood samples from other areas besides your fingers and this makes testing a whole lot less painful.
Self-education is going to be very important to you in battling this disease as well. Knowledge empowers you to take control and keep control of your blood sugars! Scott gave you some very good advice with suggesting that you pick up a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution Diet. It can be a bit technical and a little overwhelming, so feel free to ask any questions either here or to your doctor if you don't understand something, but there is a LOT of good information there to help you understand what is happening inside your body and why it is so important to get those blood sugars under control.
The good news is that low carbing should help you get control of your blood sugars quickly and then help you keep them as stable as possible.
If you have been put on medications, it would be wise to let your doctor know that you are choosing to follow a low carb plan and then work closely with him to keep your medications at the correct level. They will most likely need to be adjusted or even discontinued before too long. If your meeter shows that your blood sugars are getting too low frequently, call your doctor right away and let him know. Don't attempt to adjust your medications on your own.
I'm sure that you understand that this is a serious thing, but I want you to know that it's not hopeless. With the right diet and exercise, chances are good that you can lead a very normal, healthy and long life.
Hang in there...you're among friends here!