View Single Post
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 10:36

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 225/197/170 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Folks - my very first post ever to any forum - so here goes.

I've just read this thread from beginning to end and I don't think anyone has raised the point about food storage. Grain, once dried, can be easily and safely stored for many months or years. To preserve meats prior to advent of refrigeration needed labour intensive salting or smoking processes. The oils in nuts and seeds will become oxidised in storage leading to rancidity. So carbs are easier to store than foods with high protein or oil/fat content.

Therefore - I'd just like to propose the idea that one of the reasons for the spread of agricultural was that those H/G groups with a few pots full of stored grain would be better able to survive periods of food shortage that H/G groups who were soley dependent upon hunting and gathering.

A bit of personal info - newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic early January 2003 - overweight - bad blood profile, typical syndrome X. Since January have followed Pritikin type diet with lots of whole grains and very low protein and fat. Lots of exercise ran 160 miles and walked 80 total in 10 weeks to early March.
Results: lost about 8 or 9 lbs then plateaued - desperately hungry all the time, blood sugars still too high ... until ...

Inspired by BBC Diet Trials evaluation of Atkins diet - investigated low carb last Monday (24March) - came across Active Low-Carber Forums - ordered Bernstein's book (Diabietes Solution) same day from Amazon.co.uk, cut down on carbs (low rather than zero). Results: not been hungry since start of low carbing, last two days have had pretty near normal blood sugars (although fasting result is still high in morning due to liver insulin resistance). I'm sure that my total daily calorie consumption has dropped markedly since eating all this "unhealthy" stuff.

One other point related to the thread - there was a discussion about the effects upon the grain industry if low carb diets became more popular - don't forget that there is a massive vested interest in the sale of industrially produced meat products - look at the mess we got into here in the UK with mad cow disease. Consumption of beef dropped way off, just like the consumption of eggs when our food minister (Edwina Currie at the time, more latterly famous for having a secret affair with prime minister John Major) announced that most British chicken flocks were rife with Salmonella in the early 80's. She lost here job for being honest with the public and the egg industry collapsed for a while.

Looking forward to reading more of these forums and thanks for all the inspiring info. I just hope I haven't harmed myself long term with all the high carb stuff prior to last Monday, BTW, further 5lbs off in last 6 days.

John P