View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I hadnt had anything to eat or drink since 8:00pm last night (besides water) and I tested at 9:45am this morning.

That could explain it right there. You tested after fasting for almost 14 hours at which point, your liver is producing glycogen to keep your body going (known in diabeticese as a glycogen dump) which could explain the slightly higher readings. Fasting blood sugars are usually understood to be after 8 hours with no food; any longer than that and you could get a falsely elevated reading due to glycogen production.

Quote:
Ok, it has been 1 hour since I had some meat and its been 3 1/2 hours since I tested the first time....it now reads 115.

Vicky...I really don't think you have anything to be concerned about here. That's an absolutely normal reading, especially 1 hour after eating. Protein isn't likely to raise your blood sugar much, either. It would be better to eat a normal meal with protein, fats and carbs (like veggies) and then test 2 hours afterwards. If it's below 120, you're fine.
My afternoon readings are quite frequently lower than my fasting reading, so that's not necessarily indicative of a problem, either. Try to relax and not get yourself worried over this. As I said before, 118 would only be considered borderline; not even really elevated. Normal (according to my doctor) is between 80 and 110.

Quote:
I wanted to have some of my yogurt for breakfast.......should I test first thing upon waking and then 1 hour later?

You can test when you get up and then 2 hours after you eat breakfast. 1 hour after eating may show you how high your blood sugar gets after eating, but it doesn't tell you if it comes down below 120 when it should (2 hours later) which is what you're really interested in knowing. For those of us who are diabetic, we may want to know how high our blood sugars get after a meal because we wan't to keep our post prandial (after eating) blood sugars below 150. Most diabetics don't even test that...they test fasting, before each meal, 2 hours after each meal and at bedtime and that's only if you are an insulin dependent diabetic. Right now, my doctor only has me testing once a day, alternating fasting one day with a 2 hour check the next (I check after different meals each time).