#70   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 22:11

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Liz, please share what you learn! I'm sure we'll all chip in for the trainer.

As for Pilates, I've never had actual Pilates training--just bits and pieces learned during other types of classes, and some videos. Yoga somewhat the same, although I've done much more yoga, and like it better.

Up with Plank People!

You know, the world is divided into Cat People and Dog People, and Yoga People and Pilates People, not to mention People Who Divide the World into 2 Kinds of People and People Who Don't.

I actually got a frozen shoulder practicing yoga moves (yes, I overdid it), and despite my 3 months of PT, it never quite recovered till I started pilates. I've also been fortunate to have a couple of really excellent pilates instructors and my yoga teacher was only average. But, honestly, the two activities have more similarities than differences. And certainly both improve fitness.

I talked to Lila about the planks and got some additional ways to modify as you are working up to elbows/feet (but if I recall correctly, you're already there, Barb?)

Anyway, she suggested doing side planks with the bottom leg bent and the top leg extended for greater stability; it also makes an easier eventual transition to 2 extended legs.

Then with the arms, Mark Sisson's video shows the free (upper) arm resting on the hips. She suggested starting with the free arm extended out straight (parallel with body, close to the upper ear) - if you kind of curve it over your head ballerina-style, it also helps to lift the torso into a slightly arched position.

From there, she recommended extending the arm vertically (perpendicular to the body) and eventually, resting the arm on the hips like Sisson shows. That way you are gradually adding the full weight of the arm to the amount the body must lift and hold up.

Anyway, she approved my form and encouraged me to keep doing side planks since they ARE so difficult.

No planks for me today (except quick side planks at gym), but I'll be back at them tomorrow.