View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 10:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BodyRx
Stats: 209/169/150 Female 67 inches
BF:43%/32%/24%
Progress: 68%

I'm so glad to see this thread. My husband is also eating low-carb with me, even though he's always been thin. He's 6 ft, and when we started he was 172 lbs. Now he's 158 soaking wet and after a meal ;-).

He lost about ten pounds quickly and then held steady at 162 or so for about six weeks. But now he's begun losing again -- and he isn't happy about it! He has always consumed more carbs than me, and I keep telling him that if he wants to stop losing then he needs to keep upping his carbs until he finds a good maintenance level for himself.

The funny thing is that he's become such a staunch convert that he can't stand the thought of adding rice or carrots or potatoes back into his diet. (He has a major guilt complex). I have managed to convince him to eat one slice of high-fibre bread every morning. But maybe I need to just surprise him with a baked potatoe on his plate every now & then, cuz I know he won't be able to resist it if it's right in front of him. And I'll keep drumming into his head "whole grains are OK!! Real food is OK!!"

Part of the reason he doesn't want to change is because he feels so much BETTER on this diet. Your husband is probably the same. If he's happy, trust that! I doubt very much that low-carb has anything to do with him getting sick.

And Mary... I hear you on the *sharing weight* thing. My husband has never known how much I weigh either (until now). I only revealed the awful truth to him a couple of weeks ago.... and he barely batted an eyelash. It's so FANTASTIC to have support... I can't imagine trying to be successful at this while living with someone who insisted on eating "the old way." Kudos to all of you who are managing to stick to it while watching your family eat flour sugar and starch!!