View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-15, 11:02

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think though, in the same way that early studies showing an advantage to lowering cholesterol through drugs lead people to jump to the conclusion that lowering cholesterol through diet was a good idea--if supplemental ketones catch on as a treatment, that might give dietary ways of entering ketosis a boost in popularity--whether for the right reason or not. Even if part of the purpose of the studies is to find a way to put people in ketosis without risking a high fat diet.

In the case of type II diabetics--it might just take a bit more to get into ketosis. Or take somebody like Jimmy Moore, he just did a 17 day fast, while his wife was doing a low-carb autoimmune diet--and her ketones and blood glucose were around the same level as his.

Some of the therapeutic ketogenic diets are very aggressive. If a person needs to eat 90 percent of calories as fat--and even then, still has to watch their calories, to get the level of ketosis/suppression of glucose metabolism desired--there's a case where being able to eat a bit less stringent diet would be nice, and maybe compliance more likely. In the extreme, a person might be forced to choose between optimizing for ketosis, and getting in enough protein to sustain lean mass.

And I guess if somebody can eat a high carb diet, and still get some benefits from exogenous ketones, that's something worth knowing. There will always be people willing to take the supplement, but not willing to change their diet. I know people who think a low carb diet would improve their cholesterol--but they take statins, they think it's "instead," that it will protect them from their diet choice. It'd be nice if ketone esters actually provided some of the protection they hope for from statins.