#11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 16:50
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Angela:
GRRRR, I can't find that quote. I'm about 95% certain I read it, but I can't find it. Maybe it was another book, but I'm pretty sure it was FTH,FTK. So ignore what I said until such a time as I can bring you the proof. Sorry, I should have known better than to quote something off the top of my head without having the data sitting in front of me.

But I went onto SmartBalance's site and copied a couple of suspicious quotes:

Quote:
Can I cook, bake and fry with it?

Smart Balance 67% margarine/spread is designed for cooking, baking and frying. For baking, adjustments may have to be made for the water content, which is a little higher than full fat (80%) margarine and butter for which many recipes were written. Smart Balance 37% margarine/spread is designed to be a spread only.

Note the word "designed" and the absence of "healthy". This refers to the physical qualities of baking with SmartBalance, not whether it is healthy to cook with it. Anyone can cook with any kinds of oils. Whether it's healthy for you is a different matter.

Quote:
Optimum balance of the three principal fatty acids: polyunsaturates, monounsaturates and saturates.

This concerns me. A margarine with balanced fat profiles, yet it's safe to cook with. I find that really hard to believe. But that could just be the skeptic in me. I have an inherent mistrust of processed food. I don't even think LC processed foods are healthy, so I have a definate bias.

I couldn't find a list of its ingredients. Does it say on the container what it's made of? I'm curious.

Bottomline is that they are selling a product that is trans-fat-free when you pick it up from the grocery store. They aren't responsible for how you use it. I think you should e-mail the company and ask them if their margarine creates trans-fats in the process of frying (ie. are the fats in their margarine damaged from heating). It would be interesting to see their response (if they reply).

I'll still continue looking in my book, but I checked all the index pages for margarine with no luck. Maybe I didn't highlight that quote so I keep missing it.

Wanda
PS, is it really that good-tasting? I find margarines unbearable to eat. I'm almost tempted to bring butter to my In-Laws when I go for dinner.