Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: Blood Test Results after Low-Carbing

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutri-nut
I.........The bad news is my good cholesterol (HDL) level dropped 2 points to 33 and my bad cholesterol (LDL) level went up 16 points to 106.
I think you're doing well and should stick with it. The nurse is right, your LDL will level out over time.

Besides, your LDL to HDL ratio is 3.2 (106/33), which is fine. 2.3 - 4.1 is average; over 5.6 is high.

A HDL of 33 is "ok", but would be better to get it up over 40. Over 60 is protective against heart disease even if the LDL is elevated.

Some things that will help increase HDL ... eat more monounsaturate fat from virgin olive oil, raw nuts and seeds, and unrefined oils made from them, avocaodoes. Eat more fatty fish or take fish oil supplements. Have a glass of red wine now and then . If you smoke, please quit. And exercise, in particular aerobic/cardio type, has been shown to improve HDL by up to 10%.

You might also consider taking niacin (vitamin B3) ... studies show it can result in significant rise in HDL. It can cause uncomfortable flushing though. Here's more information about using niacin from Whole Health MD.

hth,

Doreen