View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 14:44

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Let's see if I can get this out straight...

I get my cholesterol levels checked every 3 mos. or so to see progress- whether it be negative or positive. Fortunately, I've only seen positive since starting lo-carbing, but then again I've only had one draw so far since my baseline tests last August.

My cholesterol was normal before starting LCing, 187 I believe, but the HDL/LDL ratio was all out of whack. My triglycerides were baaaad, like 400+. While being a follower of the low-fat diet for many years, my cholesterol and tri's kept climbing higher and higher. When I dropped low-fat went to eating the 'western diet' everything dropped a touch and my cholesterol 'normalized'- again, the tri's were still high -- mind you, there was no weight loss.

Anyhoo, my results from January were wonderful. After LCing for 3.5 mos. (at that point) my total cholesterol dropped to 170 w/a 3:1 HDL/LDL ratio (a first for me- it was about equal before) and my tri's dropped 151 (or so) points. I'm interested to see how things go after I have my next draw in May since I can't (and won't) give final judgement on only one running of the tests.

Basically what I'm saying is that you may want to consider continuing LCing and have another draw in a few months. At that point you'd have more information to see whether or not you have a steady drop in tri's and how your HDL/LDL ratio is.

Just from my experience I noticed that my 'diet' or lack thereof (basically my food choices) had a great impact on my cholesterol levels regardless of whether or not I lost weight.

Best of luck in your decision and your pursuit of health!

HTH,
Nikki