#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 165/160/135
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Blood Test Results after Low-Carbing

I posted this in the War Zone because it was a follow-up to another message I posted, but I wanted to post it here as well to see if I can get some advice/reaction.

I started eating low-carb weeks ago. I have not lost much weight, maybe 3 pounds.

I had blood drawn last Friday for my annual cholesterol check. Here is what has happened:

My total cholesterol level is 180, and I think this is down by about 20 points from my last check. The biggest difference was my triglyceride level. It dropped way down from 400-something to 194.

The bad news is my good cholesterol (HDL) level dropped 2 points to 33 and my bad cholesterol (LDL) level went up 16 points to 106.

The nurse said the change in the HDL and LDL are due to a reduction in my triglycerides. She also said she believes my levels will improve if I lose weight (I think I have about 20 pounds to lose to be at my "ideal" weight).

So....I'm not sure what to do at this point. I believe low-carbing has helped with the trigly. But it apparantly has had a negative impact on my HDL/LDL levels. If losing weight is all that helps improve cholesterol levels, why do I need to eat low-carb? And if I continue to eat low-carb, will my HDL/LDL levels continue to be negatively effected.

What do you all think?
Sponsored Links