#7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 16:52
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
I have noticed that the palpitations show up again when I'm low on potassium, calcium or magnesium.
I would definitely suggest that he take some magnesium along with the potassium. That can't hurt, and it might help. I know it helped me.

I found a few articles that might be of use. This one describes the various types of palpitations and suggests possible causes.

Most of the articles I've seen say that the most common benign causes of palpitations are stimulants (a reaction to caffine, alcohol, OTC medication, etc.), stress, and a lack of sleep. I only saw a couple of articles that suggested a food connection.

This one suggests a possible link to GERD, and this one suggests another possible gastric-related cause for the sensation of palpitations.

If either of the last two fit, you might consider suggesting a regular LC plan or something like Schwartzbein instead of Dana's plan -- those low-impact carbs are also the most volatile ones, in my experience.

All that being said, I agree with everyone else that he should move up that doctor's appointment if possible. Hope some of this will be useful.

Hugs,

Ruth