#47   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-14, 07:47

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Good article in the Times about medications and the elderly, especially those with dementia:

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/...ted/?ref=health

They have very little, arguably no, effect.

I know a lot of people react to these meds in negative ways but Namenda is the only thing with which I had seen any 'instant' improvement. The eggs were just the only thing I could think of that I had done in a consistent, long term manner, to explain the clock improvement. The version of Namenda that her doc prescribed is the slow release kind and our pharmacy doesn't routinely stock it so they have to order it every time. This leads to a two day lag time, too often, as I am not an organized person. During this lag time, I would see a serious increase in listlessness and vagueness. Once the scrip was refilled, she would be better in a day or so. Her heart is always good at her check ups and the hospital said she was very fit when she was in there for her hips.
I understand they are now going to only make Namenda in the extended release pill that she is already on, because that extends the patent time period for another six years, so there can't be generic competitors. Without insurance, it's prohibitively expensive, which is why Mother didn't take it for a couple of years after her last doc wanted her to have it. I just couldn't afford it.