#5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 20:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%
Post Coconut macaroons

Hi John,

No, it not a super secret ancient family recipe - its straight out of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook with a Splenda substitution.

I'm pretty new at this forum stuff and I am not sure but I think I am suppose to post recipies as seperate threads but I'll put it here and post it ~ I hope that is the right thing to do! Let me know if it's not. I think these come out to about 1.5 grams per cookie.

2 egg whites
2/3 cup Splenda
2 TBS Flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1+1/2 Cup unsweetened coconut(shredded)

Preheat oven to 325(F) and grease some cookie sheets. Beat egg whites until they stand in stiff peaks, gradually beat in Splenda. Beat in flour, salt and vanilla and coconut extracts. Stir is coconut.

Drop mounds of the mixture onto cookie sheets and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on the sheets.
Makes about 25 cookies.

For Chocolate Coconut Macaroons: add 1 ounce of melted unsweetened chocolate to the mixture when you add the coconut.

Hint: The only unsweetened coconut I can find is usually pretty dry. Measure what you need into a small microwavable bowl - add a few tablespoons of water and stir, cover loosely and microwave for about 30 second - stir again. repeat with more water if neccessary. Then remeasure for your recipe- you'll find you have greatly increased the volume.

Hope you like them.

Rosemary