View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 12:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Roch...

Unfortunately for you, the veggies that are highest in nutrients and antioxidants are usually the dark green leafy ones like spinach and kale. However...there are a lot of other veggies that are not dark and leafy such as cauliflower, green beans, broccoli, cabbage (okay, this one's leafy, but it's not dark green and it can also be red cabbage), mushrooms, asparagus, avacado, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers and brussels sprouts. Yes, you can get a lot of vitamins and minerals from a pill, but they are not nearly the same quality as those found in real food.

Quote:
what are nitrates and fillers are they in hot dog style frankfurters

Nitrates are chemicals used to cure and preserve meats such as bacon, sausage and lunchmeats. Fillers are things like bread crumbs, and various other starches and sugars and yes, hot dogs usually contain one or both of them. Nitrates are thought to be carcinogens, so the use of foods that contain them should be limited.

Quote:
In my view, in Induction, it matters very little how you make up 20 carbs as long as you don't exceed 20 carbs

Frederick...I have to disagree with you on this one. I think it makes a great deal of difference to your health whether you are getting your 20 grams (or whatever level of carbs you are at) from veggies and other whole unprocessed foods or using your 20 grams to fill up on low carb junk foods. Which would be better for my body; a serving of sugar-free ice cream with 10 grams of carb or a serving of broccoli with 10 grams of carb (that's a lot of broccoli, by the way)? I think they would both contain about the same amount of calcium, but that ice cream also has a lot of other added chemicals and not much else nutrition wise. The broccoli, on the other hand, doesn't have added chemicals (let's say it's organic for the sake of argument) but it does have a lot of other vitamins, nutrients, fiber and antioxidants that benefit my body. The volume of broccoli that I can have for 10 grams of carb is also going to fill me up a lot more and for a lot longer than that ice cream. Does that mean I'm never going to indulge in the ice cream? Of course not; it's a wonderful treat! What it does mean is that I'm going to make sure that the majority of my carbs are coming from the veggies first.