#5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 05:37

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Thanks, Cher...

and welcome!

Unfortunately, I know all about the syndrome. What seems to be the case is there isn't much relief!

I have had it pop up three times in the last year and lose about six weeks of my life (or at least that is the way I feel) when it does. This time, it is affecting my job.

I don't think there are a lot of doctors with much experience in it. I addressed it with my rheumy, because I happened to have an appointment. She ordered no tests of any kind, just gave me drugs and said come back in two weeks. She doesn't even know for sure that this is really the problem!
Tomorrow I go to an ortho about it.

I know about the stretches and already do many of them because of a lateral release done on the other leg. They don't help!

Since you are going to be out there, let me give you this information.. For most sufferers, the conservative approach that doctors seem to want to take does not really help. And I don't believe that doctors understand the constant, unrelenting pain that is associated with it. There is no comfortable position. It hurts as much lying down as it does sitting. And swimming hurts too. And it is not a muscle hurt. It is a searing, nerve pain. It starts in my butt and runs down my thigh and goes past my knee, then goes to the outside of my ankle and under my heel. There are days when I can't even put my foot on the floor. I have limped from my living room to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and couldn't make it back out. But the rheumy would not even ok a "no work" note. And no amount of muscle relaxers or pain pills helps. Or heat.
Just a little info to take with you on your practice. Sometimes, the text books don't say it all.