View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 01:41

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

...But don't hold your breath. Endo or not if he's not at all willing at this point, I doubt you'll be able to convince him. (I had the very same discussion a few times with my doc--I even volunteered to foot the bill for it myself) It seems to me the current thought held by docs concerning burning out the pancreas is that it'll burn out anyway and you'll have to go on insulin eventually so they don't seem to care that the sulfonylureas may hasten the process. It's all part of the mindset that diabetes can only be controlled, not cured, and the patient will only get worse as time goes on. They don't seem to have any thought toward trying to help them heal. Except for folks like Dr. Bernstein, Atkins, Eades', etc. But then, don't we all know what docs think of THEM! (With a *very* few exceptions...)

And while we're on the subject of endos...my pet peeve is the ones who will prescribe insulin only and won't also give the patient Glucophage with it. They don't seem to care what damage the excess insulin will do. To me it's a 'Well DUH' kinda thing. If you prescribe insulin AND Glucophage then your patient can utilize the insulin more efficiently and won't need as much! Geez!