#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 00:03
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 273/260/225
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Almond Flour

I have tried to make Almond flour from almonds by putting them thru a coffee grinder but I am not really impressed with the resulting almond "meal". It is very grainy and everything I try cooking with it comes out dense and somewhat dry. I am measuring the amount to use in a recipe after grinding, and have tried putting in 1-2 TBL spoons of wheat gluten to help. I even spent $18.00 for Cakeability Baking aid, which you mix in with the almond meal.

Would blanched almonds be better than almonds with the skins still on? Maybe that's my problem...

Any suggestions on how to get almond flour from almonds instead of almond meal? A standard coffee mill just doesn't seem to cut it (no pun intended ). Any one use anything else with more success? I called all around here in Manchester N.H. and no one has Almond Flour, although "A Market" said they could special order it for me..in 25 lb bags! Seems like alot.

What about soy flour? I bought some but haven't used it yet. I hear it can have a bad overpowering flavor. I would really like to produce muffins similar to the Atkins muffin mixes, which are much lighter than what I make.

I have tried the Atkin bake mix...don't like anything I made with it. And carbolite has a 0 carb bake mix, but it is vanilla flavored...which can get in the way....
Sponsored Links