View Single Post
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-13, 10:42

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Just saying there are two sides to the story. If you think the pre-agricultural apples were as big and sweet as a giant red delicious, go for it.

I've seen the difference in strawberries in my own life time. They are now at least 3 times as big as they were when I was a child.

And of you don't believe that we have produced cultivars that are much larger and sweeter than their ancestors, that's OK with me too.

I believe that modern cultivars of most fruit and vegetables have been selectively bred to have bigger and/or sweeter edible parts. That's what the science of agriculture is all about. You don't have to agree.

I also believe that in the pre-agricultural era (most of our history as humankind) the sweet and starchy foods ripened right before the starvation season and that allowed us to get fat, which was a survival benefit for the coming starvation season. You don't have to agree.

There is a ton of information out there, and we all choose to believe what we want to.

Some believe that a low carb diet is dangerous, and there is enough out there to confirm that. There is also enough to confirm that a LC diet is healthy.

How do we really know for sure?

We don't. Anyone can put up a web page to either prove or disprove just about anything they want.

I do know one thing for sure. I'm in my late 60s, on zero prescription drugs, trim (but not slim), all my blood work (including HDL and LDL) is in the recommended range, I don't get sick (one mild cold every 5 years or so), most people tell me I look much younger (including the nurse at my doc's office where I get my annual physical), and even my eye doctor tells me my retinas and therefore immune system are those of someone 20 years younger than myself.

I've been extremely Low Carb since 2000, and I don't hardly ever eat fruit, and when I do, it's small quantities of low glycemic fruit.

So it works for me.

But as previously noted, we are all different. Some people get along well on a different WOE.

Bob